MT. WASHINGTON UNITED BRETHREN IN CHRIST CHURCH

alt here Home
alt here About Our Church
alt hereOur Pastor
alt here Pre-School
alt here VBS
alt here Contact Us
 
 

 

aa
s
ss
 
710 Copenhaffer Road
York, PA 17404


Sunday Service 9 AM

Children's Church 9AM

WELCOME!


Our Church Faith and History

The United Brethren Confession of Faith was adopted in 1815 and has never been changed. It states the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, the core beliefs which United Brethren members have clung to since the denomination began.

For our Confession of Faith, click here

For our Core Values, click here

Mt. Washington Church History

In 1914, the Christian people of Mt. Washington and community began to worship by having prayer meetings in some of the homes.  These meetings resulted in five conversions.  From there the services were taken to a small vacant tenant house on the farm of Mr. & Mrs. Daniel Strine. This house is still in existence and is located just south of the present Church property.  The following winter revival services were held in the little house resulting in about thirty additional conversions.  Then a Sunday school was organized with Robert Platts serving as Superintendent.  The first class had about forty members.

 

By this time it was felt that a church building should be erected and so, without any aid from the conference, each one pledged themselves to do all they could. Land was purchased from Mr. Strine and in 1916 a wood frame church was built on the corner of Copenhaffer and Butter Roads. It was staked off, with the entire frame, sills, and rough lumber being donated by the community. Construction began in January 1916 with no capitol but lots of willing hearts and hands. As the dedication drew near there were still some unpaid bills but during the dedication service an offering was received which was enough to completely pay all building costs. Officiating at the dedication service was the first pastor, Rev. Amos Funk.

 

The congregation grew until it was necessary to build more Sunday school rooms. In 1941 a Sunday school room 14' x 36' was added to the original building. Under the ministry of Reverend A.E. Martin, and due to continued growth, adjoining land was purchased and a new basement structure to be used for Sunday School facilities was begun. This building was dedicated on November 24, 1957 with the late Bishop Ezra Funk delivering the dedicatory address.

 

Construction, with a cornerstone-laying ceremony, was begun on August 7, 1960 on the upper level, which included a large sanctuary and nursery area. The first worship service of the congregation was held in the new sanctuary on March 12, 1961.

Ministers at Mt. Washington

1916-1918            Reverend Amos Funk

1918-1921            Reverend F. G. Mentzer

1921-1924            Reverend J. F. Combs

1924-1928            Reverend E. M. Funk

1928-1929            Reverend C. E. McCurby

1929-1930            Reverend J. H. Bender

1930-1932            Reverend M.I. Burkholder

1932-1937            Reverend E. M. Funk

1937-1941            Reverend Leroy L. Perry

1941-1950            Reverend Jacob Zepp

1950-1952            Reverend Glenn Perry

1952-1959            Reverend A. E. Martin

1959-1962            Reverend Laban G. Hawbaker

1962-1966            Reverend Charles L. Herr

1966-1973            Reverend Myrel T. Slaybaugh

1973-1984            Reverend Bruce E. Urey

1984-1986            Reverend Donald Bender

1986-1990            Reverend C.David Shisler

1991-2003            Reverend Dale W. Thrush

2004-2006            Pastor Paul J. Dunbar

2007-                    Pastor Gordon Bowen